Common Core State Standards Initiative is a an educational initiative in United States that details what K-12 students should know in the English & Language Arts and Mathematics at the end of each grade.
There are five key components to the standards for English and Language Arts (ELA). They are -
- Reading (R)
- Writing (W)
- Speaking and Listening (SL)
- Language (L)
- Media & Technology (MT)
In ELA, common core standard code contains 3 parts separated by dots (key component, grade & topic). For e.g., L.1.1 means Language - Grade 1 - Topic 1 (Conventions of Standard English).
There are 11 key components to the standards for Mathematics (MATH) from Kindergarten to grade 8. They are -
- Counting & Cardinality (CC)
- Operations & Algebraic Thinking (OA)
- Numbers and Operations in Base 10 (MBT)
- Measurement & Data (MD)
- Geometry (G)
- Numbers & Operations - Fractions (NF)
- Ratios And Proportional Relationships (RP)
- The Number System (NS)
- Expressions & Equations (EE)
- Statistics And Probability (SP)
- Functions (F)
In Mathematics, common core standard code contains 3 parts separated by dots (grade, key component & topic). For e.g., 1.G.1 means Grade 1 - Geometry - Topic 1 (Reason With Shapes And Their Attributes).